Malachy (Mael Maedoc) O'More (Ua Morgair) was born in Armagh in 1094. He was raised under the care of the famous recluse Imhar O'Hagan and ordained a priest by St. Cellach (Celsus) in 1119. He continued his studies in Lismore under St. Malchus. In 1124, he was ordained bishop of Connor. He continued to reside at Bangor and when some of the naive princes attacked Bangor and Connor, he led the monks to King Cormac of Munster and founded Iveragh monastery in Kerry. In 1132, he succeeded St. Celsus as archbishop of Armagh. But, owing to intrigues, he was unable to take possession of his see for two years; even then, he had to purchase the important relic and sign of his authority - the "Jesus Staff" - from Niall, the usurping lay primate. He then set about restoring the discipline of the Irish Church and adopting the Roman liturgy at Armagh.
In 1138, he resigned and retired to Connor, dividing he diocese in two: Down and Connor. He founded a priory of Augustinian canons at Downpatrick. Early in 1129, on a journey to Rome, he stopped at Clairvaux and met its abbot, St. Bernard. They became life-long friends. Pope Innocent II appointed him apostolic legate for Ireland, with ample power to correct existing abuses. In 1142, he opened the first Irish Cistercian abbey at Mellifont. His greatest act was the convocation of the Synod of Inis-Padraig, held in 1148. 15 bishops, 200 priests, and many religious were present at the deliberations, which lasted four days. After the Synod, Malachy set out for a return visit to Rome. But, upon arriving at Clairvaux, he fell sick and died in the arms of St. Bernard on November 1, 1148. He was buried in the chapel at Clairvaux. St. Bernard would eventually be buried near him. Numerous miracles are recorded and attributed to him. He was canonized by Pope Clement III on July 6, 1199.
Malachy's and Bernard's tombs were moved several times with the rebuilding of the church. Portions of Malachy's remains were sent to Mellifont in 1194. At some time at Clairvaux, part of Malachy's arm and his skull were removed and placed in special reliquaries in the abbey's treasury. His arm was kept in a silver case, decorated with precious stones. A portion of his skull was kept in a bust reliquary of gilt silver, also decorated with precious stones and topped by a mitre. These reliquaries may have been enameled or painted. During the French Revolution, the reliquaries themselves were destroyed, although the relics were preserved. Malachy's head is now preserved in a reliquary in the treasury of Troyes Cathedral, not far from the ruins of Clairvaux. The tombs of the two friends were destroyed in the aftermath of the revolution, and the bones were commingled and distributed to various parishes in the district of Clairvaux. Fortunately for us, our bone of St. Malachy was certified and sealed by Cardinal Francesco Barberini the Younger in Rome on May 5, 1735 - long before the French Revolution. So it probably came directly from his as-yet-undisturbed relics in Clairvaux.